The City Attorney is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the council. The council fixes the compensation of the City Attorney. The attorney has the following duties:
- Prosecute and defend suits for and against the city
- Advise the mayor, council, manager, clerk and other city officials with respect to legal matters connected with the affairs of the city
- Attend all meetings of the council
- Draw all legal documents connected with the affairs of the city
- Draw proposed ordinances when requested to do so
- Inspect and pass upon all agreements, contracts, franchises and other instruments in which the city may be concerned
- Perform such other duties as may be required of him by virtue of the position as city attorney.